Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Sherrod Wright buzzer-beats VCU

With 3.8 seconds left on the clock and George Mason trailing by two points in-bounding the ball from the opposite baseline, the chances of escaping with a victory were slim to none.

But don't tell that to Sherrod Wright.

Wright, the redshirt sophomore guard, recieved the ball from senior leader Ryan Pearson just inside of the half-court line, turned, took three dribbles, and launched. Nothing but the bottom.

“I made the shot of my dreams,” said Wright during the post-game press conference.

Sherrod Wright (right) and Paris Bennett celebrate the win.

This was by far the best Mason game I've ever been to, and how fortunate for me that it came at the end of my senior year. It's hard to believe the BracketBuster game Saturday will be my last game ever as a Mason student.

But let's get back to Sherrod Wright.

With all of the hype surrounding the Mason-VCU rivalry entering the game and with the two squads dead-locked for first place in the CAA prior to the tip, the Patriots' epic comeback was all the more impressive.

Although Wright's shot will be the one remembered for years to come, the Patriots were down by five points with 30 seconds left, and VCU went 5-of-6 from the free throw line over the last 30 seconds. I'm no math wiz, but down five, five free throws... that means Mason scored 11 points in the final 30 seconds. Wow.

With four different players -- Wright, Pearson, Vaughn Gray and Vertrail Vaughns -- all knocking down big-time shots, it was truly a team comeback for the ages.

After the game, head coach Paul Hewitt said (women: stop reading here), “This is the best Valentine’s Day I’ve had in a long time,” and I'm sure all of the Mason faithful agree.

Now does it compare to the Duke comeback against arch-rival UNC? Maybe not, but it sure was close. And I'm glad my teams came out on top in both instant classics.

No comments:

Post a Comment